the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, September 30, 2013

NFL Week Four: Kickers Assess Their Misses

Among the secondary job requirements of an NFL kicker is answering media questions regarding missed kicks. Four kickers did so yesterday.

Giants kicker Josh Brown was wide left on a 44 yard attempt at the end of the first half during New York's 31-7 loss to Kansas City.
"[It] just didn’t go where I wanted it to go. For me, it’s very frustrating. It’s not what I expected out of me and it’s not what the team expected out of me. That is very frustrating.”
Browns kicker Billy Cundiff missed a pair of kicks in the second quarter, going wide left on a 37 yard attempt and going wide right on a 49 yard attempt at the end of the half. The latter may have been tipped and followed a successful kick negated by the ever popular icing timeout. Cundiff did connect from 51 yards in the third quarter and Cleveland won the game 17-6 over Cincinnati.
"The first miss had nothing to do with my leg. I consider that a mental mistake. I got rushed and pushed it a little bit left. Statistically I'm 1-for-3, but the way I view it is I'm 3-for-4."
Vikings kicker Blair Walsh was wide left on a 44 yard attempt in the latter stages of the fourth quarter during Minneosta's 34-27 win over Pittsburgh.
“I just pulled it a little bit. I was worried about pushing it down the right hash and instead overcompensated. It’s something I have to work on.”
Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey was wide left on a 56 yard attempt during the second quarter of Dallas' 30-21  loss to San Diego.
“It’s one of those deals where all three of us need to be perfect, especially from that distance. I didn’t feel like the operation was like I wanted it. Obviously the kick didn’t go through.... We’ve been working on that in practice. I feel like some of the work I did in the offseason kind of carried over this season as far as leg strength goes. I was confident and I’m sure Rich [Bisaccia] and Jason [Garrett] were confident. Just unfortunate we weren’t able to put points on the board.”

No comments:

Post a Comment