the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

High School Long Kicks - Missouri

Our series exploring the longest field goals at the high school level in each state continues with Missouri.
  • 63 Jeremy Flores for Willard High vs. Marshfield High on November 5, 1997
  • 62 Danny Huesgen for Pattonville during 28-20 win over Francis Howell North High on September 29, 1995
"We decided to kick a field goal with just a couple seconds left on the clock at the end of the first half after attempting some long passes.  In practice during the week, I regularly hit 55-56 yard field goals.  I was the starting defensive end so I wasn’t just sitting around thinking of my time to attempt a field goal.  It all happened so quick, that I didn’t have a lot of time to think about anything except making the kick, which was probably a good thing mentally.  I thought I was attempting a 55 yard field goal, as I did not know it was 62 yards until 10 minutes later at halftime when my coach came up and congratulated me.  I did not realize the significance of the event until days after when I realized it at that time was the fifth longest in the country and #1 in Missouri.

People still refer to me to this day as the 'guy that kicked the 60 something yard field goal'.  Just last Friday, Fox 2 news had a segment on high school football and the gentlemen was asked to reflect on some of the best area high school kickers, which they mentioned me.  I had 3 phone calls that night from friends that were watching it.  I wouldn’t say the story comes up at unusual times, but more or less everyone at my high school during that time clearly remembers the event."
  • 60 Justin Green for Odessa High during 38-7 win over Warrensburg High in 1998
  • 58 Brian Emmendorfer, Central (Cape Girardeau) at St. Charles West, Oct. 15, 1999
  • 57 Brian Emmendorfer, Central (Cape Girardeau) vs. Perryville, Oct. 27, 2000
  • 56 Tom Latimore, McCluer North vs. Roosevelt, Oct. 21, 2006
  • 54 Gregory Schoenberg, Westminster Christian Academy vs. MICDS, Oct. 21, 2006 
  • 52 Jason Stansberry, Lamar at East Newton, Oct. 25, 1985 
  • 52 Joe Palmer, O’Hara vs. St. Pius X (Kansas City), Sept. 4, 1998 
  • 52 Matt Hottleman, Fort Zumwalt West vs. Jefferson City, Oct. 29, 2004 
  • 51 Trell Edington, Poplar Bluff vs. Ozark, Sept. 19, 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment