the study of the kicking components within sports

Thursday, October 23, 2014

High School Long Kicks - Oregon

Our series exploring the longest field goals at the high school level in each state continues with Oregon.
  • 55 Paul Burton for Sunset High in 16-6 win over Beaverton High on October 25, 1991.
  • 54 Donald “Buster” Hodges for Veronia High in 3-0 win over Rainier High on October 2, 1926.
  • 52 Kirk Yliniemi for Central High in 55-24 win over Hidden Valley High School on November 8, 1998 during a Class 3A state playoff game. 
  • 52 Justin Kahut for Clackamas High against Putnam High on October 28, 2005.
"A little further back than the kick itself, I remember going out to the stands after school let out to just sit and relax. I remember looking at the empty field and thinking it looked a lot longer this particular day. 50 yarders looked really long and 60 yarders seemed impossible (but I had hit each of these in practice before). When the actual kick came and I went out to line up for it I put my block down, looked up to start my steps, and thought "wow this looks really short!" To me it looked like a 40 at the time. At the point I knew I could make it. As I started my steps back, aiming just inside the right upright, I thought to myself "keep your head down and hit it solid." Right after I kicked it I knew I had the distance. It was solid contact, but when I looked up it was tracking right at the right upright. Slowly it made its way over about a yard inside the pole and cleared by about 8 yards. I remember my team going nuts and just having a huge smile on my face. All the time spent in the off-season had paid off!

Throughout my years playing at Oregon State I would occasionally kick at my old high school during the off-season. Several times, in-fact most times, someone would stop me and ask questions. It's funny because a lot of them would start off the conversation with something to the extent of "are you the guy who hit the 52 yarder?" Or "are you the kicker that used to kick the kickoffs through the uprights?" Those seem to be the two things I was known for my senior year of high school. Another time it comes up is with my group of High School friends. My best friend was actually my holder and brings up that game every once in awhile. What a lot of people don't know is that later in that game my coach also had me attempt a 61 yard field goal from the right hash. Given that it had been pouring all game long and the ground was soft, as well as already having a ton of kicks that game I had convinced myself that I couldn't make it. So I just gave it enough to get into the end zone for a touchback. Right afterwards I realized I probably could have made it if I really would have went after it. Definitely a kick I wish I had back, so my buddy always gives me a hard time for that. He really wanted to be apart of making a 61 yard field goal."
  • 52 Kody Kuhlman for Klamath Union in 29-0 win over Henley on September 30, 2011.

  • 51 Kurtis Magee, Corvallis High School (20) vs McNary High School (0), October 24, 2003
  • 51 Cam Kerkar, Beaverton High School (16) vs Westview High School (30), October 15, 2010
  • 50 Kevin Miller, Centennial High School (57) vs Hood River Valley High School (6), September 28, 2007
  • 50 Trevor Harmon, Southridge HS (54) vs Westview High School (14), November 1, 2008 
  • 50 Zach Standish for Barlow HS in 14-0 win over Westview HS, August 30, 2013 
"He boomed it. He had a good five yards extra,' coach Terry Summerfield said. 'And right down the middle. He just crushed it. It was fun to watch.' Standish made all four of his field-goal attempts, also connecting from 17, 20 and 36 yards. The four field goals are believed to tie a state record, shared by Enterprise’s Bo Crawford (1998) and Sunset’s Cam Kerkar (2010). " - Oregon Live

No comments:

Post a Comment