the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, October 21, 2013

NFL Week Seven: Winning Kicks by Nick Folk, Shaun Suisham & Mike Nugent

Buffalo kicker Dan Carpenter was not the only kicker to hit a game winning field goal yesterday. Three others also did so.

Jets kicker Nick Folk made field goals of 37, 37 & 42 yards. The latter came in overtime, following a wide left attempt from 56 yards that was negated by penalty allowing the drive to continue. The final kick gave New York a 30-27 win over New England.
“The wind was kind of blowing back and forth the whole game. It was going to their bench consistently and kind of to each corner, varying throughout the game. I went out there and just tried to drive it a little more and the wind kind of beat it up a little bit. It pulled it a little left. Fortunately for us, they got a penalty....

I wish the game would've ended on the long one. That one would've been fun, but luckily we got closer and I got to put it through and beat the Patriots." 
Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham made field goals of 34, 28, 38 & 42 yards. The latter came on the final play of the game and gave Pittsburgh a 19-16 win over Baltimore.
"Fortunately I am surrounded with a lot of talented people. We have a talented team. I am happy to be a part of a win we desperately needed. A lot of guys played good football yesterday. My job is to make field goals and I am happy I was able to do that....

I understood the ramifications if I make the kick, but the routine should stay the same. It’s just years worth of experience and a routine I believe in. It’s staying true to that regardless of the situation. But it was a combination of excitement and relief hitting it, relief more."
Bengals kicker Mike Nugent kicked a 54 yarder as time expired to give Cincinnati a 27-234 win over Detroit.
If I hit a ball like that I can’t wait to find every teammate that I see. Just love seeing those guys. So much goes into winning an away game.... I am just so proud of these guys. I’m very lucky to be in that position to hit that last one.”
Coach Marvin Lewis also discussed the kick, as it fell within the day's planned kicking range.
“Anywhere from about where we got it. We can take a game winner from 40, so we could have kicked a 58-yarder today. He felt good about that. I wrote 36 on my sheet at the beginning of the game, so (special teams coordinator) Darrin (Simmons) told me 37. So I went with 36. I asked Darrin to give me a line each day. He gives me a yard line and I put it in my mind where I’m going to take a whack at it. It’s not rocket science or anything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment