the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, October 14, 2013

NFL Week Six: Mike Nugent Keeps Head Up & Keeps Head Down

Up by two touchdowns in the third quarter, Cincinnati appeared to increase their lead with a 24 yard field goal. But a holding penalty negated that and on the re-kick Mike Nugent was wide left from 34 yards. Buffalo went on to tie the game and send it to overtime.
“I’ve never wanted to be out on a field more once we got into overtime. I was like, ‘I have to make it up the mistake that happened early'.... I kind of felt like (overtime) was my responsibility. I felt like I put us in overtime in a bad way. You can’t miss a kick like that. There’s no excuse for it.”
On the second possession of the extra period, the Bengals set up a 43 yard field goal attempt. Special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons reminded Nugent prior to the kick:
“I told him to keep his head down. Last one he popped his head up and knew that it was no good.”
Nugent kept his head down and made the kick, and the Bengals won 27-24 over the Bills.
"I felt better about the last one. I always want to be on the field. It shows me why you try not to kick yourself when you're down. The game's not over yet."
While kickers often credit their long snapper and holder, this time punter returner Brandon Tate got the nod from Nugent:
"That's really the play that won the game. He put us into scoring position by making several people miss. It was a great return."

No comments:

Post a Comment