the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Groza Award Semifinalists 2013, Comments from the Kickers

In follow-up to yesterday's announcement of this year's semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award, following are subsequent comments from some of the candidates:

Roberto Aguayo, Florida State
Jeff Budzien, Northwestern
Ryan Bustin, Texas Tech
Brad Craddock, Maryland
Vincenzo D’Amato, California
"I am very honored to have made this list of semifinalists. I have been fortunate to have a lot of support from family, friends, teammates and coaches."
Brian Davis, Arkansas State
"Practice how you play, know you are playing for something bigger than yourself, treat every opportunity you have to help your team as your last, always be positive in everything you do, and show humility and confidence each and every day."
Jeremiah Detmer, Toledo
"I am honored to be considered for the Lou Groza Award and I feel blessed to be where I am. All the credit goes to Christ, I wouldn't accomplish anything without my faith in my life and in kicking. Also, Matt Wall (long Snapper) and Vince Penza (Holder) are a credit to every kick I make. They truly are the best at what they do and they work just as hard as I do and deserve just as much credit!"
Jake Elliott, Memphis
"It's an honor to even be in consideration for such an award as a freshman. I just have to stay focused and have to finish off the season strong."
Anthony Fera, Texas
Zane Gonzalez, Arizona State
Chase Hover, SMU
"It's a great honor to be recognized as a semifinalist for this award. But as I've done all season you have to take it game by game, kick by kick. Still have five games left in the season, and I just want to do anything I can to help my team make it to a bowl game."
Michael Hunnicutt, Oklahoma
"A lot of it is out of my control and if we have field-goal opportunities. If I make them, maybe that'll come. If not, I'm happy kicking extra points all game too. I love it when we score touchdowns."
Marvin Kloss, South Florida
"I wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for the big boys blocking up front and a great snap and hold operation with Ciabatti and Burdetsky."
Shawn Moffitt, Central Florida
Marshall Morgan, Georgia

"Of course, I believed in myself, but now that’s it’s actually happening, it’s a lot better feeling.... They’ve seen how I was kicking this whole summer. I feel like they wanted me out there. It just made me feel really good having guys talking positive stuff in my ear and not guys on the team talking negative like a few last year maybe."
Will Oliver, Colorado
"It’s nice to get some recognition for all the work I’ve put in. I think I’m headed in the right direction but I still think I have a ways to go to be as good as I can be.... I had a rough game last week. It was really eye-opening to me to struggle like that but as long as I take it one kick at a time and stay engaged I think I’ll have a chance to win it.... I think that’s really good for the conference. It’s great for all of us in the Pac-12 to have that competition and it’s a great motivation factor for me because there’s just so much talent."
Andy Phillips, Utah
Jared Roberts, Colorado State
"With all the great kickers around the country it's an honor to be considered among the top 20. It's an individual award but it's a credit to the success the team has had this year. I'm fortunate to have a great holder, snapper and line that blocks for me."
Niklas Sade, North Carolina State
Cairo Santos, Tulane

No comments:

Post a Comment