the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, September 21, 2015

High School Long Kicks - New York

Our series exploring the longest field goals at the high school level in each state continues with New York.
  • 62 yarder by Todd Sauerbrun for Ward Melville High during 27-13 win over Centereach High (Long Island) on October 27, 1990
From 1998: "Sauerbrun had hoped to get a leg up on the competition Sunday at Soldier Field. The Bears punter wanted to attempt a possible game-winning 60-yard field goal on the last play of the 24-23 loss to Jacksonville with :05 remaining. Instead, Erik Kramer attempted a low-percentage Hail Mary pass that fell incomplete. Sauerbrun's hankering to attempt such a long field goal was not just so much idle chatter. As a senior at Ward Melville High School in Setauket, N.Y., Sauerbrun once connected on a 62-yard field goal. Jeff Jaeger is the Bears' regular placekicker because of his superior accuracy. But Sauerbrun would be the man for coach Dave Wannstedt to call on to unload a monster kick. 'I was going to whisper that in Dave's ear, but things were tense and I didn't want to stir it up,' Sauerbrun said after the game. 'He would have come to me if he was thinking about it. I know I was thinking about it. I sure was.'... 'There's no doubt that I would have had the leg (from 60 yards),' said Sauerbrun. 'I could have got it there. Whether it would have gone through or not, I don't know. But I would have got it there, I promise you that'."
  • 61 Blake Haubeil for Canisius High in 23-20 win over South Park, September 19, 2015
"The kick is up ... and ... and ... and ... and ... and ... It’s good! A 61-yarder!' It took quite a while to determine the outcome of the mammoth field goal attempted by Canisius kicker Blake Haubeil during Saturday’s game at the Stransky Athletic Complex in West Seneca. The longest field goal in Western New York history had the added benefit of providing the Crusaders with the winning margin. Canisius held off South Park, 23-20. The field goal, which had maybe a yard to spare, came with 2:51 left in the third period, and turned a 20-6 lead into a 23-6 margin. 'I had missed from 46 earlier, so I knew the next one would be important,' said Haubeil, a junior who will go to Ohio State University. 'I told the holder to get the ball down, and I’d put it through. I was also a little nervous at the same time. You always want those kicks. You want to take advantage of your opportunities. I was a little lucky to get it.' Still, Haubeil knew he was capable of getting the ball over the crossbar, thanks in part to a strong breeze. 'Before the game, I hit one from 66,' he said. 'The wind always gives you that little confidence. But I’ve hit from 60 and beyond with no wind. You have to believe in yourself'."
  • 60 Michael Tarbutt for Canisius in 23-10 win over Stepinac, December 7, 2014
"Michael Tarbutt of Canisius kicked a 60-yard field goal in the first quarter of the New York State Catholic High Schools Athletic Association championship game, which would be won by Canisius, 23-10, over Stepinac of Westchester County. Tarbutt was also a huge factor in the punting and kickoff games in the final at Long Island's Mitchel Field, underlining his being named a first-team All-Western New York selection in Saturday's paper. His 60-yarder, which had some help from the wind on a blustery day and also grazed the cross bar before going through, surpassed the league- and school-record 52-yarder he booted against Aquinas in Week Two.... Tarbutt's three field goals in the game also gave him a total of 11 this season, giving him the Western New York single-season record and the fifth-best single-season output in state history. The old Western New York mark was nine, held by several kickers.... 'With it being cold, I needed it to be a bit windy,' the UConn-bound Tarbutt said. 'I didn’t hit it the greatest. I got under it a bit. I didn’t get that nice thud that happens when you hit the sweet spot'."
  • 58 Kevin Knope for Greece Olympia High vs. Webster on October 6, 1990
"It seemed like it was in the air for 10 minutes. It was right in the middle, but I couldn't tell whether it went over or under the bar until the ref came out and put his arms up."
  • 57 Todd Sauerbrun for Ward Melville High vs. Lindenhurst on October 14, 1989
  • 57 Chris Soto for East Rockaway on October 2, 1993 
  • 56 Chris Collins, Roy C. Ketchham, 9/21/2002
  • 55 Mark Zajkowski, MacArthur, 10/5/2001
  • 55 Mike Torres, North Rockland, 10/13/2001
  • 55 Shawn Dussault, Livonia, 10/30/1993
  • 55 Denis Avdic, Utica Proctor, 10/7/2005

No comments:

Post a Comment