the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, November 4, 2013

NFL Week Nine: Kickin' 'em Low

Washington kicker Kai Forbath had a pair of field goal attempts blocked in yesterday's 30-24 win over San Diego - a 25 yarder on their first possession and a 59 yarder on the final play of the first half.
“We haven’t really gotten to see film yet, but we will this week and will get it corrected....

The 59-yarder, you have to drive that. We didn’t have the wind helping us at all, so you have to keep it low and give it all you got....

After all that, I was just glad to make the last one [a 47 yarder in the fourth quarter]. That was a good feeling. I just cleared my mind from what happened before and I have to be here to perform when we need it.”
Carolina kicker Graham Gano also hit a low long ball, a 55 yarder in the third quarter of the 34-10 win over Atlanta. Although his was not blocked and it was through the uprights.
"Sometimes that happens. It was definitely not the ideal trajectory, but it's three points."
Three of Houston kicker Randy Bullock's four field goal attempts did not go through the uprights in the Texans 27-24 loss to the Colts last night. He missed wide left from 49 yard in the second quarter, wide right from 43 yards in the fourth quarter and wide left from 55 yards on the final play of the game.

“Tonight was a rough night for me. I’m very disappointed. It’s very upsetting, very frustrating. I have to forget everything that happened before and move on to the next one. I felt I was making solid contact. It’s a matter of where the ball is going....

Coach Marciano came by and told me to keep my head up and that I was going to be playing in this league for a long time. I think I’ll be fine. I can rebound.”
Texans punter Shane Lechler, who also serves as the holder on placekicks, discussed both facets of the kicking game:
“I thought we had a pretty good pregame. We definitely had a pretty good two weeks of work. He just had a rough go today. He’ll be better. It’ll take a little time.... My hat’s off to him. He’s got guts. He’ll be alright....
Hell, I hit a sh-- punt [19 yards] right there at the end of the game. I feel like I cost us the game just as much as he did. If I hit a normal ball like I’m supposed to there, they have to go at least 85.”
In Minnesota's 27-23 loss to Dallas, Vikings kicker Blair Walsh missed his first extra point since his junior year of college.
"The execution was good. It's what we needed. The blocking was good. The snap, hold were right on. Just pushed it. It's one of those things that happens every so many kicks. Today it happened at an unfortunate time for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment