the study of all things kicker related

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Big Bowl Kicks 2013-14

A review of notable kicking from this year's college bowl games:

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Junior kicker Kyle Brindza made five field goals (21, 38, 26, 25 & 49 yards), with the latter two coming in the fourth quarter, in Notre Dame's 29-16 win over Rutgers.
“Fourth quarter is what I love. That’s pretty much what a kicker’s job is supposed to be. My favorite athlete is [recently retired New York Yankees pitcher Mariano] Rivera and the reason why is he’s a closer and that’s how I’d like to think of myself.”
Little Caesars Bowl
Freshman kicker Chris Blewitt hit a 39 yard field goal with 1:17 remaining to give Pittsburgh a 30-27 win over Bowling Green.
“It felt good once it came off my foot and I watched it go through. I’m just happy to play a part in the win. I really wanted to send all the seniors out with a win since they’ve been through so much with all the coaching changes.” 
Gildan New Mexico Bowl
Junior kicker Jared Roberts made four field goals (25, 19, 30 & 41 yards). The latter came as time expired and was the game winner for Colorado State 48-45 over Washington State.
“It all just happened so fast, and you just go out there and trust what you’ve been doing, and you’ve just got to treat it like another kick no matter how big the stakes are. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel a little bit of pressure, but to see it go through the uprights and to see what a great season it’s been, [it’s great] to send off these seniors who started something special for the program....
I knew for the seniors and for all the hard work that's gone in, I had to hit it. Perfect snap, perfect hold, I had the easy job."
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
Junior kicker Hunter Stover's 27 yard field goal with 9:56 remaining proved to be the game winner as Louisiana-Lafayette won 24-21 over Tulane.
"[My grandfather Stewart 'Smokey' Stover] told me to just visualize kicking field goals, seeing yourself do it before you do it. You have to do the physical part, getting stronger, but the mental aspect is still 95 percent of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment