the study of the kicking components within sports

Friday, December 13, 2013

And the Winners Are... Roberto Aguayo & Tom Hornsey

And the winners of the two big awards at the 2013 Home Depot College Football Awards are [drum roll]...

"He currently leads all kickers nationally with 147 points -- a total that is both an FSU and Atlantic Coast Conference record. In 13 games this season, Aguayo has outscored FSU opponents by himself 147-139. His 90-of-90 mark on extra points is an FBS all-time record. Aguayo is currently 19-of-20 on field goals with a long of 53. Aguayo set the school record with 70 consecutive made kicks to start his career. He has also been named First-Team All-ACC selection by the ACC coaches, a second-team selection by ACC media, a first-team All-American by USA TODAY Sports, Walter Camp and CampusInsiders.com and a first-team freshman All-American by College Football News."
"Aguayo was named this year’s Lou Groza Award winner, which is represented to the top kicker in college football. Aguayo, a freshman, converted all 90 extra point attempts this season he was called on to try, and he successfully kicked 19 of 20 field goal attempts as well. In all, Aguayo accounted for 131 points for Florida State.
Aguayoa is Florida State’s third Lou Groza Award winner in program history. First awarded in 1992, Sebastian Janikowski won back-to-back Lou Groza Awards in 1998 and 1999. Graham Gano later won a Lour Groza Award for Florida State in 2008. Tulane is the only other school with multiple Lou Groza Award winners, with two. Aguayo beat out Texas kicker Anthony Fera and USF’s Marvin Kloss for the honor." - NBCSports
“I knew coming in I had big shoes to fill,” Aguayo said. “Hopefully I filled them pretty well coming here and winning this Groza Award....  Kicking University – that’s what it is. Just being next to them. Now I can be considered as good as Sebastian, as good as Graham. It’s unreal right now. I’m just trying to sink it all in.... It’s a great feeling. It’s just a blessing and it’s going to make me work that much harder coming in this offseason trying to come back here again.” - Tallahassee.com
Ray Guy Award: Tom Hornsey, Memphis
"Two-time Ray Guy Award Player of the Week honoree during a senior season in which he averaged 45.2 yards per punt ... Ranked eighth nationally in punting average ... Helped the Tigers post a 41.02 net punting average which ranked fourth nationally ... During the year had three of the 15 highest game punting averages in Memphis history ... Placed 29 of 62 punts inside opponents' 20-yard line (.468) ... The .468 percentage ranked fifth nationally ... The 29 punts downed inside the 20 ranks tied for third through the regular season ... Had 11 punts downed inside opponents' 10-yard line ... Opponents returned just 19 of his 62 punts (31 percent) for 136 yards (7.2 yards per return) ... Averaged better than 40 yards per punt 10 times during the season"
Hornsey, an Australian native, added to an impressive haul of postseason honors. Earlier this week he was named first-team All-American Athletic Conference and the league’s co-Special Teams Player of the Year. He also received first-team USA Today All-America recognition and was selected to the Walter Camp All-America second team. “It’s all been kind of surreal,” Hornsey said. “My strongest suit was (punting) inside the 20s. And that was something I was able to hang my hat on during my whole career.... This is something I can put on my résumé. I think it will help if teams have a 50-50 decision to make.” - CommercialAppeal
“I’m honored to receive the award,” Hornsey said. “To have my name next to Ray Guy is unbelievable. I’m excited. I can’t believe it.” Hornsey attended St. Joseph’s College and played Australian Rules Football and tennis as a prep athlete. He came to Memphis and became the starting punter right away, ranking fourth in Conference USA and 34th nationally in punting average as a freshman. “The goal was to become an American punter. I worked on technique and made a video. Memphis was one of teams interested. They sent me over there and I accepted.... The players at Memphis embraced me. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It’s been a fantastic journey.” - Augusta Chronicle

No comments:

Post a Comment