the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, December 2, 2013

NFL Week Thirteen: Robbie Gould & Blair Walsh - Life & Kicking

The Chicago-Minnesota game went into overtime and was eventually won by the Vikings 23-20.

After having become a first time father earlier in the day, Bears kicker Robbie Gould came up short on a 66 yard field goal attempt at the end of regulation and was wide right on a 47 yarder in overtime.
“I didn’t do it. I didn’t have it. I missed it. I wasn’t nervous. I just missed. If you want to put the blame somewhere, it falls right on me....

It was one of the greatest days of my life. I’m happy for my wife and my little boy. I’m sorry I couldn’t do it for my teammates the way I did for my wife this morning. So, oh, man. It’s hard to swallow. We’re in a playoff hunt. I love my teammates just like I love my wife and my baby. And we just didn’t do it today. It was in my range. I make that kick a lot. I just gotta step up and make it.”
In the waning moments of regulation, Vikings kicker Blair Walsh hist a 30 a yard field goal with 24 seconds remaining. On the ensuing kickoff, he then prevented Bears returner Devin Hester from scoring by forcing him out of bounds.
"I don't make a lot of coverage plays. I was just trying to get in his way and not let him get into plus territory and get a chance for that field goal. I knew what was going on. Fortunately, we just sort of came together. It wasn't anything spectacular by me. Just get in his way. I was the last pylon."
In overtime, Walsh hit an apparent game winner from 39 yards out, but it was negated by penalty. He then missed the 57 yard re-kick. Following Gould's miss on the subsequent series, the Vikings drove to set up Walsh with a 34 yard attempt, which he made to win the game with 1:47 left in the extra period.
"It was my fault [on the 57 yarder]. I tried to kill it a little bit too much, but we were able to come back and make that last one....

[After Gould missed] I came to the sidelines, looked at [punter/holder] Jeff [Locke] and said 'It's gone; it's done with. We're going to get a chance to win this game'. Even when Robbie was going up for his attempt, he's a great kicker, I just had a feeling we were going to get another chance, and we did.... We hadn't had one missed on us the whole year. It was due, let's put it that way."

No comments:

Post a Comment