the study of all things kicker related

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Minnesota Golden Gophers Kicker, Punter & Snapper News 2014


April 12th - spring game kicking
"Redshirt freshmen Andrew Harte and Ryan Santoso were impressive in the competition for field goal kicked. Harte kicked a 53-yarder and Santoso hit one from 46 yards, with both kicks aided by a brisk wind into the open end of the stadium. Harte and Redshirt freshman Justin Juenemann added short field goals. The Gophers are looking for a new place kicker following the departure of Chris Hawthorn." - The State

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/12/3384376/leidner-steady-for-conservative.html#storylink=cpy

April 10th - punter Peter Mortell
"Mortell said his offseason goals are to become better with directional punts, using the sidelines and shorter punts with more hang time when appropriate. 'That was my first year,' he said. 'I’m definitely pleased with how my season went, but I’m not satisfied.' On Jan. 15, Kill summoned Mortell into his office. The coach commended the junior on the job he’d done on and off the field. A marketing major, Mortell had earned Academic All-Big Ten honors, too. Kill told him he’d earned a scholarship. Mortell said calling his parents and telling them the news made it 'the best day of my life'.” - Star Tribune

January 27th - kicker Emmit Carpenter commits
"Carpenter, a 6-1, 195-pound senior kicker from Ashwaubenon (WI) High, has become the latest player to accept a preferred walk-on opportunity with the Minnesota Golden Gopher football team.... 'I decide Friday night. That was when I let the coaching staff at Minnesota know that is where I wanted to go to school and play football... I have not taken an official visit there. I went to camp there this summer and that is kind of how I got on their radar. I went to a game visit this fall for the homecoming game against Iowa and I'll be taking an official visit there this upcoming weekend.... My final decision came down to Minnesota and Illinois State.... I had a busy camp season this summer. I traveled all over the country, going to bunch of D1, FCS and FBS programs, so it was a really fun summer and I am really happy and fortunate that I had a great day at Minnesota and got on their radar and kind of started the process that way.... I would say that my leg strength is probably my strength as a kicker. I really enjoy kicking off and I am pretty good at long field goals'."
- Gopher Hole

January 26th - punter Logan McElfresh commits
"It might have been the sky scraping punts during the semifinals of the Class 5A state football tournament at the Metrodome. Or his consistent performance during Brainerd’s 12-game win streak and the Warriors’ run to the Class 5A state championship game. Both undoubtedly helped Brainerd High School senior punter Logan McElfresh commit to being a walk-on at the University of Minnesota next fall. He made an official visit last weekend and committed to the Gophers shortly thereafter. In the state semifinals against Chaska, McElfresh punted eight times for 318 yards (39.8 average) and kicked off four times for 216 yards (54-yard average) with one touchback. For the season, McElfresh helped Brainerd to a 12-1 record by averaging 34.8 yards on 38 punts. He kicked two field goals, both from 30 yards, and converted 47 of 52 extra-point kicks (.904). He kicked off 72 times for 3,738 yards (51.9 average) with 16 touchbacks. He also played quarterback, running back and tight end."  
- Brainerd Dispatch

January 26th - long snapper Payton Jordahl commits
"Sunday, the senior verbally committed to the University of Minnesota, where he figures to play long snapper. 'It just started with me grabbing a football and snapping it in practice,' Jordahl said. 'I can’t stress enough how it’s all the hours in the weight room and film room and every little detail. I’m just sitting here today, thinking, ‘Wow. I made it.’ Jordahl said his decision came down to the University of Minnesota, the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota. It was Gophers head coach Jerry Kill who made the difference.... Jordahl had offers from North Dakota State and Minnesota State Moorhead. According to Jordahl, NDSU held up the offer he was given in July, despite head coach Craig Bohl leaving for the University of Wyoming.... Besides long snapping for Perham, Jordahl also played inside linebacker and fullback. He rushed for 1,605 yards and 19 touchdowns, while also making 265 tackles – 149 solo – with seven pass deflections, four forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and two interceptions in 39 games in his Perham career."
- Fargo-Moorhead Inforum

No comments:

Post a Comment