the study of the kicking components within sports

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Shorter Hawks Kicker, Punter & Snapper News


September 24, 2014 - kicker Kenny Langford gets first field goal
"That moment came when the Hawks' saw the placekicker who has already put his name in the team record book, Troy Postell, suffer a vicious hit on a kick-off return following Shorter's second touchdown of the afternoon and leave the game for good early in the second quarter. Enter Langford, who although served as the Hawks' extra point special a year ago converting 25 of 27 PATs after not seeing any playing time his first two years at Shorter, had never gotten the call to try a field goal attempt…never. '"I saw the whole play when Troy got hit,' Langford, who came to Shorter out of Paulding County High School, said about what ran through his mind when he was suddenly went from a backup kicker to the team's go-to guy, '"so I immediately went to the net and started warming up. We didn't have a whole lot of team to kick during pregame (warmups) so I wasn't that loose.' Loose or not, the time came when the Hawks needed Langford and the 5-foot-9 right-footed kicker stood tall. After a Shorter drive stalled with just under eight minutes left in the half at the West Texas 15, Jones and his Shorter teammates looked to Langford to make a 34-yard field goal and split the tall uprights that seemed dwarfed in the cavernous end of the stadium that never seemed to end. That he did to give Shorter a 16-0 lead against a team that started the season ranked nationally. 'I was so nervous,' Langford explained about the moment. 'I made a move before the ball was snapped and I thought I would get a penalty, but once I kicked it and it went through I can't tell you how excited I was'." - Hawks

No comments:

Post a Comment