the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

High School Long Kicks - New Mexico

Our series exploring the longest field goals at the high school level in each state continues with New Mexico.
  • 59 Louis Reagon, Tucumcari vs. Lovington (10/23/1981)
  • 58 Scottie Gallardo, Alamogordo vs. Hobbs (10/10/2007)
"It was 4th and 12 and the field goal measured up to be a 58yards. There was no wind behind me it was a cross wind. My coach looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and I nodded in approval and he said 'Gallardo, kick the shit out of the ball!' I knew I was going to have to smash the ball while not tensing my body up. As I took my steps back I paused, took a deep breath, then gave the signal for the snap. I aimed a whole 12yrds to the right so the wind would bring it back in. The ball flew through the uprights about halfway up the poles. The fans went crazy and so did the opposing teams fans. I still get chills thinking about it....

[since then] It is really not unusual for the topic to come up. Usually when I visit my home town I get reminded twice a day by people who see me around the town. They are always asking if I'm still trying to go big and what my next step is. It's really nice to have a town behind you supporting like they do."
  • 56 Adam Richards, Hobbs vs. Clovis (10/27/2006)
  • 55 Jessie Darnell, Lordsburg vs. Santa Rosa (11/25/2006) 
"It was a day of firsts for the Lordsburg Mavericks, at last the state champions in Class 2A football. The little Hidalgo County school has been playing football since 1927 and Saturday won its first football title, thanks in large part to a pair of field goals by Jessie Darnell. Sticking with the theme of the day, they were the first field goals of Darnell's high school career. Darnell's powerful but until Saturday undiscovered foot kicked field goals of 27 and 55 yards as the Mavericks ended their first undefeated season in school history with a 20-10 win over Santa Rosa.... Darnell kicked the 55-yard field goal with 1:55 left in the game after Santa Rosa's defense put on an impressive stand. Lordsburg had a first-and-goal at the Santa Rosa 9, but the Mavericks picked up a holding penalty and quarterback Tommy Ray Lopez was sacked twice, pushing the Mavericks back to the 38. Baiza called a timeout and decided to let Darnell try the field goal before a packed crowd at Mavericks Stadium." - Albuquerque Journal
  • 55 Clinton Greathouse, Artesia vs. Las Cruces (1998) 
  • 55 Erik Hinterbichler, Albuquerque vs. Del Norte (9/21/2001) 
  • 55 Marcus Muldez, Manzano vs. Rio Grande (10/15/1994)
  • 54 Gabriel DeHoyos, Artesia vs. Ruidoso (1997) 
  • 52 Erik Hinterbichler, Albuquerque vs. Belen (9/14/2001) 
  • 51 Erik Hinterbichler, Albuuquerque vs. Valley (11/2/2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment