the study of the kicking components within sports

Thursday, September 24, 2015

High School Long Kicks - Pennsylvania

Our series exploring the longest field goals at the high school level in each state continues with Pennsylvania.
  • 64 Gerry McGroarty, Bishop Hoban (Wilkes-Barre) in 52-0 win over Bishop Hafey (Hazleton), AA, 9/27/2003
"McGroarty, long-snapper Shayne McGrady and former Hoban head coach Dwayne Downing recently took time to recall that historic kick. The 2003 Argents were off to a 1-3 start and Bishop Hafey served as Hoban’s homecoming opponent that Saturday afternoon. 'A lot of people were there, my family and friends,' McGroarty said. 'The coolest part of the whole day was that my grandfather, Daniel, who was 83 at the time, was there. That was probably one of the coolest parts of the whole day for me'.... 'I remember I was just standing there with my hands in my shoulder pads,' McGrady said. 'We were near the 50, so I figured I could relax. I knew once we got inside the other team’s 40 that it was Gerry time. That is when I would just start thinking, ‘OK, let’s get ready.’ But we were near the 50. I wasn’t even taking it into consideration. It wasn’t like we were planning to do it or anything. I don’t know if somebody was nudging Coach Downing or something. I thought maybe (Downing) sort of got caught up in the moment.' According to Downing, the plan was to punt. He figured there would be no harm in giving it back to Hafey late in the game. But then, it all started. A few of the assistant coaches told him to go for the field goal. Downing wasn’t sure. Then a few of the players told him to give McGroarty a shot. Finally, the decision was made and Downing sent in McGroarty.... The field-goal unit came out and McGrady headed to the line of scrimmage. The holder, Brad Chikanus, took his spot 7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage at the Bishop Hoban 46. 'I remember thinking, 'This is a long way here,' McGrady said. 'I kept saying to myself, ‘Don’t botch this snap. Don’t send it over his head.' From McGroarty’s perspective, everything was perfect. 'I knew where I was,' said McGroarty. 'The snap was perfect. The hold was perfect and the line did a great job protecting'.... After he snapped the ball, McGrady stood up to block, but also became a spectator. He knew by the sound that McGroarty hit it well. How well? He really wasn’t sure. 'I snapped the ball and kept my head down and I saw Brad put the ball down,' McGrady said. 'I saw Gerry take his stride and I picked my head up after that and the ball just kept going and going. It hit the base of the wall. I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’ Then I look over and I see everybody jumping up and down and all the coaches had their arms in the air'.... The following night, McGroarty’s kick made the top 10 highlights on ESPN’s SportsCenter. 'I was blessed with a talent and I did the best I could with it,' said McGroarty. My family members, especially my dad, helped me keep my head on my shoulders and do the best I could. Before I started kicking, I was playing soccer my whole life and I knew I had some sort of leg. I kept working on it with Jeff Carlo and Jared Carlo and just fell in love with it'." - Citizen's Voice
  • 62 Jimmy Lynn Sanchez, McCaskey HS Tornadoes (Lancaster) v. Central Dauphin HS, 8/21/2000, straight-on style kicker in exhibition/controlled scrimmage
  • 58 Matt Domonkos, Bishop McCourt (Johnstown), 9/7/2001 
"Matt Domonkos missed all of his sophomore season at Bishop McCort because his left leg was broken in a motorbike accident. He also missed most of his junior season when the same leg was broken in a summer league soccer game. But his right left is apparently fine. He used it Friday to break a state record. Domonkos, a senior at Bishop McCort High School in Johnstown, kicked a 58-yard field goal in the fourth quarter of a 31-0 victory against Cambria Heights. Domonkos (5 feet 8, 155 pounds) broke the record of 55 yards, set in 1993 by Jon Curry of Pennridge. 'When we put him on the field, the PA announcer said he was kicking a 58-yard field goal,' said Bishop McCort Coach Ken Salem. 'Some of the people in the crowd were wondering what we were doing. But when he hit it, you could hear the crowd get excited. When it went through, he got a big ovation.' About 10 minutes later, it was announced to the crowd that Domonkos' field goal was a state record. 'He cleared the goal post by about 4 yards,' Salem said." - Post-Gazette
  • 56 Matt Ammendola, North Penn, AAAA, 2013
  • 55 Brandon McManus, North Penn, AAAA, 2007
  • 55 Josh Miller, East Allegheny, AA, 2002
  • 54 Joe Julius, Lower Dauphin, AAAA, 2013
  • 54 Chris Gould, Central Mountain, AAAA, 2003
  • 54 Tom Laurich, Archbishop Wood, 2003
  • 53 Dave Brytus, West Allegheny, 2001
  • 53 Ben Dato, Wyomissing, AA, 2003
  • 53 Chris Gould, Central Mountain, AAAA, 2003
  • 53 Gerry McGroarty, Bishop Hoban, AA, 2003
  • 53 Troy Stivason, Athens, AAAA, 2012
  • 52 John Chereson, Cathedral Prep, AAA, 2011
  • 52 Joe Julius, Lower Dauphin, AAA, 2011
  • 52 Kevin Kelly, Neshaminy, AAAA, 2003
  • 52 Jonah Bowman, Wyomissing, AA, 2012
  • 52 Roger Price, George Washington, 2000 
  • 51 Kent McCullough, West Allegheny, 1995
  • 51 Anton Ferrer, Hanover, AAA, 2003
  • 51 Sam Dell, Boiling Springs, AA, 2010
  • 51 Matt Boe, Greensburg-Salem, AAA, 2004
  • 51 Tony Bernatos, Central Dauphin, AAAA, 2002
  • 51 Maxwell Randolph, Kutztown, AAA, 2012

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

West Allegheny has had 2 kickers that should be added to the list.

Kent McCullough 51 yards in the late 90's against Beaver Falls,went on to punt and kickoff at Miami of Ohio.

David Brytus Mid 2000's 52 yards against Montour,went on to punt and kickoff for Purdue and Pitt.

For good measure Fleck had a 50 yard field goal in the late 2000's ,went on to punt at Duquesne.

Mike Herman said...

List has been updated to include the West Alleghenians...

Post a Comment