the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Occidental Tigers Kicker, Punter & Snapper News


November 18, 2014 - kicker Alex Graves
For years, Occidental football kicker Alex Graves (senior) defended the goal. Now, his only job is to aim between the goalposts. 'I never imagined myself playing football,' Graves said. 'I’ve always been a soccer player. It’s definitely a weird thing to hear.' Until his junior year, Graves played goalkeeper for the Tigers’ soccer team. After totaling just over 33 minutes of time on the field in his three appearances, Graves decided to leave the game. 'I wanted to focus more on school,” Graves said. “I wasn’t enjoying soccer as much as I used to in high school. So I figured with that combination I would stop playing.' Two years later, Graves is now the starting kicker for the Tigers’ football team. In nine games, he has racked up 26 of 27 extra points, providing stability for the Tigers’ kicking game.... In the fall, Graves worked his way to the starting position by exhibiting improved accuracy and consistency in practice. When SCIAC play started, Semones gave him the nod. Graves knocked in a 40-yard field goal against Cal Lutheran Nov. 8, his longest of the season." - The Occidental Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment