the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, January 26, 2015

Class of 2015 Kicker & Punter Recruiting, part 1

Moving from one level of kicking up to the next is a highly competitive, very challenging, and often complex process. With National Signing Day once again nearly here, we take our fifth annual look at the move from high school to college. To get a sense of the key aspects of the recruiting process from the vantage point of the players, we asked kickers and punters from the Class of 2015 the following two questions:
  1. What would you say was the most beneficial advice you received before going through the recruiting process?
  2. Is there one thing you learned during the recruiting process that you wish you had known beforehand?
While everyone's unique individual circumstances led to varied answers, some common themes also emerged.  We received numerous responses, so this topic will span several posts. Following is the first batch of answers:

Luke Carter, Wofford
  1. The most beneficial advice was to chose the school that's best for you. Friends and family may try to persuade you to go in one direction, but at the end of the day it's your decision and you've got to do what you want to do.
  2. I wish I had known more about just the NCAA rules in general. It's really strict. I didn't really know about dead periods and stuff like that. It's a lot of stuff to grasp for a high school kid and nobody really ever teaches you that stuff. You're just kind of expected to know it and follow it.
Ian Shannon, Auburn
  1. Be patient. We get offers late junior year and they have to see us kick before any decision is made. Don't expect a lot. Most likely you will get offers from schools in your region. 
  2. I wish I had known how rare it is for kickers to get FBS offers. Luckily I got a lot of offers and from places I wanted to look at. Also you have to consider the sponsor of the school. Under Armour cleats are unusual for kickers. Which I'm going to Auburn so I'll adjust. Also playing surface. And practice facilities. I wanted an indoor so I can always be working.
Mason McLean, Jacksonville State
  1. Don't stress out and let God's plan take its course.
  2. Straight up calling the coaches helps you with more than anything on going to schools you want.
Austin Seibert, Oklahoma
  1. The most beneficial advice would probably have been to commit or go to the college you felt at home with. Also, don't choose a college for the coaches because coaching staffs change all the time.
  2. I emailed tons of coaches, took my visits, kicked in front of coaches and ultimately found the right college for me!
Bailey Kenter
  1. At one stage I was battling homesickness last year quite a lot, to the point where I wanted to return to Australia. However, my mum sent me the poem "Invictus". That's the best advice I've had since moving here by myself. I've never looked back since.
  2. How vicious it can be to some kids' dreams and ambitions. Before moving to America I didn't realize how much of a business the recruiting process is. It's taught me to not count my chickens before they've hatched. 
Jacob Herbers, Buffalo
  1. The best piece of advice that I keep hearing is to pick a college that you would want to go to regardless of the football situation. Especially with a lot of walk on guys you need to go to a place you like academically before you chose based on what the football program is like there.
  2. I wish I would have know how long and time consuming the process takes. Kickers and punters are recruited really late in comparison inducing lots of stress on you right before signing day.
Alex Kinney, Colorado
  1. The most beneficial thing that I learned before the recruiting process was that colleges can go out and get a good kicker because there are hundreds but there are less good punters so it's easier to be recruited. 
  2. I wish I would have know that you need to get in front of coaches, even if they aren't looking for someone to scholarship things can change quickly. I'd also say you need to get your name out there, whether it's going to camps or making videos it's important to get your name out.
Colten Rastetter
  1. My family friends and coaches told me that if this is a commitment that I want to make then I should go for it. Also to continue to improve as an individual and practice all the little things.
  2. I learned that no matter what position you are, the coaches care about you. At first I was scared that with me being a punter that I wouldn't get shown much interest like athletes would receive! With this I am excited to take the next step in my football career!

No comments:

Post a Comment