the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, January 12, 2015

Michael Reeder Wins 1995 Lou Groza Award



"Although Texas Christian kicker Michael Reeder needs no excuses, Lou Groza suggested one anyway. 'When I missed, I always used to say it was the holder's fault,' Groza told Reeder. The TCU sophomore was chosen Thursday as the winner of the Lou Groza Award, which goes to the nation's best kicker....

Reeder made 23 of 25 field-goal attempts and all 20 of his extra-point tries this season. 'I didn't have the greatest high school career,' he said. 'I've had a lot more success in college. I've come long way in two years. It's a big leap. It seems like a dream come true right now.' The native of Sulphur, La., hit 21 of 30 field-goal attempts in high school. 'I guess that isn't bad,' he said. 'I never kicked a field goal over 40 yards in high school. That may have been one of the main things - questionable leg strength.' Reeder enrolled at Texas Christian on an academic scholarship, joined the football team as a walk-on and won the kicking job last year. He hit two 47-yarders this season, has yet to miss an attempt inside 39 yards and owns several school records, including 52 consecutive extra points and 13 consecutive field goals.

'He was sure a comfort,' coach Pat Sullivan said. 'Every time you sent the field-goal and extra-point team out, it was like it was automatic'. 'It feels great that the coaches and players have confidence in you,' Reeder said. 'I'm glad somebody does. I'm probably the one that's most unsure of it when I go out there. But I'm really pleased with the way the season has gone.' Reeder also kicked off and was the team's backup punter. Off the field, he maintained a 3.7 grade-point average in business. Other finalists for the award were Sam Valenzisi of Northwestern, Mike Chalberg of Minnesota, Jeremy Alexander of Oklahoma and Chris Ferencik of Pittsburgh." - AP

No comments:

Post a Comment