the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Mike Nugent Wins 2004 Lou Groza Award


"Ohio State senior kicker extraordinaire, Mike Nugent, has won the 2004 Lou Groza Award as the nation's best collegiate kicker. Nugent, who was a finalist for the award in 2002, is the first Ohio State player to win the award, which is named for the former Ohio State and Cleveland Browns' kicking great. Nugent received the award Dec. 9 at the College Football Awards Show in Orlando. Lou's son, Judd, a former Ohio State player, presented the award. Nugent has converted 20 of 23 field goal attempts this year (one was blocked) and leads the nation in 50-yard field goals with five. In the win over Marshall, his 55-yarder as time ran out provided OSU with a 24-21 win. In a 22-14 victory at North Carolina State, he tied a school record with five field goals. He is also a perfect 27-of-27 in the PAT department this year and has 34 touchbacks on 55 kickoffs." - Buckeyes

"Nugent was named the Lou Groza Award winner during the College Football Awards Show Thursday night. Before going down to Florida for the show, Nugent discussed the chance he had to win the award presented annually to the nation's top kicker. 'It would be one of those things I would love to receive at this point,' said Nugent, who was a finalist for the award two years ago. 'I'm glad to be able to go back down to West Palm Beach to the banquet for the Groza Award. The people down there are amazing. If somebody had told me before the season I would go 20 of 23 and hit a game winner and hit some long balls, I would have been really excited. I was glad the guys on offense and defense put us in position to make some kicks like this.' Nugent, a native of Centerville, Ohio, credited his teammates and coaches for helping him achieve this award. 'I think I work with the best coaches in the country, in my opinion, and I love my teammates, especially Kyle (Andrews) and Kyle (Turano), my long snapper and my holder,' Nugent said. 'I get to work with the best'." - Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment