the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Nate Kaeding Wins 2002 Lou Groza Award


"Nate Kaeding began the 2002 season by making 19 field goals in a row, and finished off his Lou Groza Award-winning campaign by making 21 field goals on 24 attempts. Kaeding set a new Iowa record by converting on 57 extra points, besting the old mark by six, and his 120 total points is the most ever in a single season in the extensive history of the Big Ten Conference for a kicker. The model of consistency, Kaeding made two or more field goals in seven of the Hawkeye’s 13 games. He also put on display his ability to connect on kicks from long-range - Kaeding made eight field goals from at least 40 yards away, three of which were from more than 50 yards out." - Groza Award

"Kirk Ferentz returned to coach the Hawkeyes in 1998 after a five-year absence. He didn't know to what extent the college game had changed regarding kickers. Grudgingly, he gave Nate Kaeding a full ride three seasons ago. 'That was a novel concept for me to [think], `Boy, we have to give up a scholarship to get this guy,' Ferentz said. 'Am I glad we did.' If tonight's FedEx Orange Bowl comes down to a field goal, Ferentz can take solace in that the nation's best kicker wears black and gold. Kaeding earned that distinction with the 2002 Groza Award and a first-team All-America selection by The Sporting News. Kaeding, a native of Coralville, Iowa, converted 55 of 56 extra points and 20 of 22 field-goal attempts. The 115-point season established a new Iowa standard and Big Ten record among kickers. 'It wasn't my goal this year to be a first-team All-American or to win the Groza,' Kaeding said. 'My goal is to help the team win games. I'm not really convinced I'm the best kicker in the country. I think I never will be at any level. I just have to keep going out there and try to convince myself. I probably won't be convinced in my ability until 20 years after I'm done. You can never arrive at any certain point in sports. You just have to keep going out there and proving yourself'." - Sun Sentinel

No comments:

Post a Comment