the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sebastian Janikowski Wins 1998 Lou Groza Award


"Florida State sophomore Sebastian Janikowski was awarded the 1998 Lou Groza Award by the Palm Beach County Sports Commission tonight. The award given to the nation's best collegiate field goal kicker. Janikowski connected on 27-of-32 field goal attempts and 42-of-43 extra point attempts for a total of 123 points this season. He now owns the Florida State and Atlantic Coast Conference season kick scoring records and season field goal records. Janikowski also led the nation in field goals per game with 2.25 and was seventh in scoring with 10.25 points per game. The other Groza Award finalists were Martin Gramatica of Kansas State and Nathan Villegas of Oregon. Janikowski won the award by just four votes over Gramatica. Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden accepted the award at a banquet tonight for Janikowski, who was taking final exams today." - Seminoles

'I'm very excited about it,' said Janikowski, who missed last night's awards banquet to take final examinations in Russian and English. 'I can't be happier, but it wouldn't have been possible without my teammates, Marcus Outzen, my holder, and Clay Ingram my long-snapper.'... In addition to his accuracy - he was 42-of-43 on point-after attempts - the Polish native was a valuable weapon for the nation's top-rated defense, with 47 of his 80 kickoffs resulting in touchbacks.... Though he didn't even know of the award when he arrived at FSU last season after one season of high school football at Daytona Beach Seabreeze, Janikowski set the award as his goal after earning freshman All-American honors for the 'Noles last season. 'I was thinking about it when I was watching the Kansas State [Big 12 Championship] game,' Janikowski said. 'There are three great finalists, and I didn't know if I was going to win, but I'm really happy for it'." - Florida Times-Union

No comments:

Post a Comment