the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, January 5, 2015

Thomas Weber Wins 2007 Lou Groza Award


"A record breaking freshman season earned Arizona State place kicker Thomas Weber the 16th Lou Groza Collegiate Place Kicker Award presented by the Fed Ex Orange Bowl . Weber and finalists Austin Starr of Indiana University and Jose Martinez of UTEP were on hand when the award was presented by former recipient Judd Davis at The Home Depot ESPNU College Awards show in Orlando. 

Weber, who set a Sun Devil record by successfully kicking the first 17 of his field goals, kicked 22 of his 23 tries during the season and will finish the year when Arizona State meets Texas in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl in San Diego on December 27th. The first Sun Devil and the first freshman to win "the Groza", Weber received 65% of the vote cast by the national panel of voters comprised of all Division I-A head coaches, sports writers and sportscasters from across the country, conference officials, various NFL kickers and all previous Lou Groza Award finalists." - Sun Devils

"It feels amazing, I don't think it hit me yet,' said Thomas Weber. 'When they called my name, I think I had a blank stare on my face. I just couldn't believe it.' The Arizona State kicker was also in awe just by the number and magnitude of activities preceding tonight's ceremony at the Walt Disney Resort. It started Tuesday night at the prestigious Breakers Resort in Palm Beach, Fla. with the Lou Groza Award black-tie dinner. It continued with a game of golf with Lou Groza's son on a PGA course later in the week, and naturally spending at the Disney World theme park. '"I can't even pick the best moment of the week,' Weber commented. 'Everything was great'."- Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment