the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Travis Dorsch Wins 2001 Ray Guy Award


"Senior kicker-punter Travis Dorsch won the Ray Guy Award as the best punter in the nation Thursday night at The Home Depot College Football Awards Show held at Walt Disney Land. Dorsch won the award, named for former standout Oakland Raiders' punter Ray Guy, over Freddie Capshaw of Miami (Fla.) and Jeff Ferguson of Oklahoma. He also was named the punter on the prestigious Walter Camp All-America Team. Camp is known as the 'father of American football,' and the All-America team in his honor is the nation's oldest. Dorsch averaged a school-record 48.4 yards per punt to lead the nation. It stands as the second-highest average in Big Ten Conference history and tied for fourth in NCAA history. Earlier this week, Dorsch became the first player in history to be named to the All-Big Ten football first team offensively, as a kicker, and defensively, as a punter. The honors are voted on by conference coaches and media who cover Big Ten teams. Dorsch, a 6-foot-6, 222-pounder from Bozeman, Mont., is the Big Ten's career field goal leader with 66 and career kicking points leader with 346. This season, he has been successful on 20 of 25 field goals and 17 of 22 PAT's for 77 points." - Boilermakers 

"Last offseason, the Purdue senior spoke with his coach Joe Tiller and told him he was the best punter in the nation.Dorsch proved he was right as the former Bozeman High All-America won the Ray Guy Award given to the nation's top punter Thursday at the College Football Awards Show in Orlando, Fla. 'I told him, 'I feel like I'm the best punter in the country and I feel I can help the team win,' said Dorsch in a telephone interview. 'He gave me the opportunity and I went out and did my job. I think I brought more of a team attitude to it,' added Dorsch, who was benched midway through last season after he had some kicks blocked. 'We take great pride in special teams at Purdue and I work very hard at what I do. This is a great feeling'.... 'It was pretty intense,' said Dorsch, who has been in Orlando since last Sunday. 'I found myself in awe of the great athletes down here. It also was a great honor to meet all those ESPN guys and Ray Guy'." - Bozeman Daily Chronicle

No comments:

Post a Comment