the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Draft Preview: Kyle Loomis

Among the punters eligible for this year's NFL draft, or signing as an undrafted free agent thereafter, is Portland State's Kyle Loomis. He is the top ranked punter in many of the various draft rankings.

Excerpts from Loomis's profile page on the Vikings' website:

2014 Senior Season
  • Career average of 46.2 yards (Portland State record)
  • Consensus first-team All-American for two years in a row. Named first team All-American by the Associated Press,  the American Football Coaches Association and the Walter Camp Foundation
  • A two-time first team All-Big Sky selection
  • In 2014, Loomis led the nation in punting for the second year in a row, averaging 46.0 yards per boot
  • had 30 punts of over 50 yards and 32 punts downed inside the 20-yard line
2013 Junior Season
  • Earned the starting punter job and led the nation with a 46.5 average... that mark also smashed the Portland State record (42.8)
  • earned virtually every available post-season honor being named 1st team All-Big Sky Conference, consensus All-American (1st team - AP, Walter Camp, AFCA, FCS ADA; 2nd team - Sports Network), as well as PSU’s Special Teams Player of the Year
  • out of 56 punts, placed 18 inside the 20-yard line... there were 17 punts fair caught... PSU’s 41.7 net punting average also led the nation
  • had 18 punts over 50 yards, including two punts of 67 and one of 66 yards
  • also served is the main kickoff man with 37 kicks for a 57.8 average and nine touchbacks
2006 Freshman Season (Oregon State)
  • Played football at Oregon State in 2006, earning the role of starting punter as a true freshman... averaged 41.3 yards per punt and earned Sporting News 3rd team All-American
  • Joined the Army after leaving Oregon State in 2007... served three years and eight months in the 2-325 Airborne Infantry Regiment - 82nd Airborne Division in Fort Bragg, NC
High School
  • Lettered in football at Roseburg High School, 2002-05
  • was a first team All-Conference punter three seasons, and first team All-Conference kicker two seasons
  • named first team All-State as a punter as a junior and senior
  • second team All-State as a kicker his senior season
  • named team MVP as a senior


College Stats:
2014: 75 punts, 46.0 yard average, long of 65 yards
2013: 56 punts, 46.5 yard average, long of 67 yards
2006: 62 punts, 41.3 yard average, long of 62 yards

Last month, Loomis discussed the second stage of his college career and participating in the NFL Scouting Combine:
"I enjoyed my years at Portland State. I didn’t know what I was getting into, but it was an amazing experience. I appreciate coach (Nigel) Burton (the former PSU head coach) giving me a chance. I’d like to have a couple of punts back and would’ve liked to win a few more games, but I couldn’t have asked for anything better....

It was a great honor to get invited (to the combine). I felt like I did pretty well, I didn’t come out of it feeling like I hurt myself. I enjoyed it. Hopefully, it ends up working out in the long run. I think I took 15 punts. It was a strange set-up. It was hard to get into a rhythm, but once I got used to it I felt comfortable hitting a pretty consistent ball. I thought I did fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment